Tuesday, November 29, 2011

All I know is me...



College, I have learned, is a time for serious self-discovery. My momma always told me if you want to hear God laugh just tell him what you have planned. Growing up in a small town, I thought I had my whole life mapped out..traveling abroad was not a part of my plan. We all have a comfort zone; a sense of security. We turn to what is familiar and avoid was is not. Entering college my plan was turned upside down. I faced trials and tribulations, just like many incoming freshman do. I realized that I may not know my plan, nor myself,  quite like I thought I did. I have run across a quote I hold near and dear to my heart, “you have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. What you’ll discover is wonderful. What you’ll discover is yourself.” I went to Northern Ireland not knowing any of my peers. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. However, I had a gut instinct this would be one of the most beneficial experiences of my life. As cliche as it may sound, studying abroad has helped me define myself. Bold statement? Maybe so. However, I hold true to it. I gained a new perspective to issues and to myself. I've also gained new friendships. I keep in contact with many of the peers and professor I met when I studied abroad. I am forever grateful I got to experience this trip with some amazing individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment