Wednesday, November 30, 2011

"You can't cross the sea merely by standing & staring at the water."




As I stood onlooking the endless horizon of the northern coastline I realized how far I had come; literally and figuratively. Studying abroad caused me to challenge myself. I never thought I would want to study abroad...something that was quickly debunked. It's not just about the lessons, lectures, beautiful sites, and stamping your passport..it's all so much more than that. It's an understanding, a meaning, and a passion. Getting out of your comfort zone can be frightening, but yet so rewarding. While studying conflict in Northern Ireland I was charged with an array of emotions. Questions ran through my mind continuously.. Questions about the dynamics of family ties, my own conflicts, future generations, and so much more. I began comparing and contrasting situations I have been introduced to in Northern Ireland and back home in the States. For me, something about endless amounts of water really makes me philosophical..well, who am I kidding, I love being philosophical. However, I see the sea as encompassing so much, sometimes you don't know what is possible until to try and either fail or succeed. This is much like life. You can't just sit back, stare, and wonder. "A goal without a plan is just a wish." You have to try. Ya, you might fail..we all do. But while sitting along the Northern Coast it dawned on me; I'd rather live with the oh well's rather than the what if's.

No comments:

Post a Comment