Tuesday, November 29, 2011

St. Patricks Day!









I will never forget my experience in Northern Ireland experiencing a worldly known holiday! The music, the food, the pubs, the atmosphere. I had the time of my life! We arrived to town the morning of St. Patrick's day (which is only celebrated by the Nationalists) and although jet lagged, we were all so excited to witness the annual St. Patricks Day Parade. Irish are PROUD!! They are proud of their culture and proud of what they stand for. You can't help but have a sense of pride when surrounded by such enthusiasts. However, when all this celebration is going on, the unionists/protestants are sequestered in their private communities ignoring this celebration. The conflict remains...Crazy to think that not everyone who lives on the island if Ireland celebrates St. Patricks day. Now that I am aware of this, St. Patricks day has a bit of a different meaning to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment